Candle care and Tips
To make sure that you get the most out of your candle there are a few key steps that you should follow. This will make sure it lasts longer and smells better:
- Keep your wick trimmed to a 1/4 of an inch and centred in the candle. The candle will be trimmed to the correct size once purchased; however the length of the wick can vary after the first burn depending on the room temperature, how long you burn the candle for etc. If it is longer than ¼ of an inch, trim the wick prior to the next time you burn it.
- When you burn your candle for the first time, you should allow your candle to establish a full melt pool (i.e., the pool of wax should reach the side of the glass) before extinguishing, which should take around three or four hours or so. If you extinguish your candle before it has reached its full melt pool, the wax will tunnel down the core of the candle and will continue to do so on all subsequent burns, resulting in large amounts of un-melted wax around the edges of the glass.
- We suggest all subsequent burn times should be limited to around two to three hours at a time. This will prevent the melted wax pool from becoming too intense, ensuring that the essential oils are retained in the wax, to make sure the aroma of the next burn will be the same as the last.
- Burning for too long can cause the wick to move, or slant. Soy wax is softer than paraffin waxes so the wick can be prone to moving slightly so make sure that you pull it back to the centre of the candle after extinguishing. Failure to do so will cause uneven burning and tunnelling. If your candle is burning with an off-centred wick, extinguish your candle, wait for the melted wax to cool, but not solidify, and when the wax is cool centre the wick.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended.
- Always store your candle in cool conditions. Never store in extreme conditions and always store out of direct sunlight.
- Only burn your candle on stable, level, heat-resistant surfaces.
- Never burn your candle in a draught.
- Keep your candle free of matches, wick trimmings and debris.
- Keep burning candles away from children and pets.
- Never cover a burning candle.